Re: TR3 Whitworth

Subject: Re: TR3 Whitworth
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:34:21 -0800
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Ok, I got home and pulled some starters out of the junk bin to check.
Both early and late TR3 starters have a 1/4-26 connection stud, which
makes it a BSF thread.  The nuts measure .526" across the flats, which
makes them larger than 13mm (.512"), but just right for the .53" I have
listed for the correct size for a 1/4" Whitworth wrench.  Of course,
that means they don't follow the "one size smaller wrench for BSF" rule,
but ...

Oh, and I don't know where I got the idea that BSW only went down to
1/4".  My thread charts have it listed all the way to 1/16" (with the
notation that many of the smaller sizes are obsolete <g>).

BTW, the wrench size chart I'm looking at came from BritTool, and has :
0.34    1/8
0.46    3/16
0.53    1/4
0.60    5/16