Re: Combustion chamber shrouding?

Subject: Re: Combustion chamber shrouding?
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 07:45:35 -0800
Cc: "Triumph (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Noah :

It's not for the faint of heart, nor for those using stock head
gaskets.  Get a copy of the TR3 or TR4 competition preparation manual, I
believe TRF and Moss still sell reprints for around $10.  The combustion
chamber mods are discussed in there, with drawings.

In short, the intake valves are pretty big for the bore on a TRactor
engine, the edge of the valve is very close to the edge of the bore, so
the head has a 'pocket' around the intake valve to improve breathing.
The modification consists of extending that pocket down into the top
edge of the liner, to improve breathing further, and to eliminate the
knife edge left by milling the head; plus cutting away part of the
'quench' area to reduce turbulence after milling.

Note that the "shim steel" head gaskets mentioned in the Comp Prep
manual are NLA, but copper equivalents are available.  One highly
recommended source is
http://www.headgasket.com/
I believe Moss also carries them, I know BFE does.

Randall