RE: Trunnion Bolt Question teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f9UNlVP09788

Subject: RE: Trunnion Bolt Question teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f9UNlVP09788
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:47:22 -0800
Frank wrote:

>Are you sure you installed all the bushings and washers correctly in
>the lower wishbones? I mean the bits that are right nest to the trunnions
>of course - you did replace these didn't you? When I did my front
>suspension (about 8 months ago now) I had trouble tightening the bolt
>enough to actually see the hole through the bolt in the radial slits
>in the nut. It sounds like you have the opposite problem. It may be that
>if you haven't replaced all of the washers and bushings they're worn
>enough to give you these symptoms. Or if you have replaced them, you
>may have inadvertently left something out - there does seem to be a
>large number of things to assemble there...

Frank:

Well, I definitely didn't leave anything out anyway.  I didn't
replace these parts with new ones
 I intend on doing a more
comprehensive rebuild of the front suspension next spring.  I love to
take care of these kinds of things all at once, but I had a lot on my
plate what with a gearbox rebuild, new exhaust system and making the
necessary repairs to the chassis under the upper fulcrum pin, so I
decided to draw the line there.  Life with only one operable car was
just getting too damned complicated!  The rest of the suspension
parts are not old enough or worn enough to make replacing with new
absolutely necessary, although if I had my druthers I'd have done it
all right now.  Oh well.

Next spring I'll replace all those trunnion parts including the bolt
itself and then see where that leaves me.

Thanks much!

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6