RE: Trunnion Bolt Question

To: "triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Trunnion Bolt Question
From: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:52:32 +1030
> The Bentley manual calls for a torque wrench setting of 50 to 65
> foot-pounds.  Keep in mind, of course, that this bolt has a
> castellated nut and a hole for a cotter pin.  Well, when I tighten it
> down to the torque spec, the nut ends up way short of the cotter pin.
> That doesn't make any sense
>  the pin can't very well keep the nut
> from loosening when the pin isn't engaged in the slots of the nut.
> So, I undid the nut and then reinstalled it, tightening it to the
> point where the cotter pin would actually be able to do its job. The
> trunnion assembly feels tight, so I'm leaving it this way until the
> spring when I'll have more time do get into it.

Pete,

Are you sure you installed all the bushings and washers correctly in
the lower wishbones? I mean the bits that are right nest to the trunnions
of course - you did replace these didn't you? When I did my front
suspension (about 8 months ago now) I had trouble tightening the bolt
enough to actually see the hole through the bolt in the radial slits
in the nut. It sounds like you have the opposite problem. It may be that
if you haven't replaced all of the washers and bushings they're worn
enough to give you these symptoms. Or if you have replaced them, you
may have inadvertently left something out - there does seem to be a
large number of things to assemble there...

Hope this helps,

Frank Biedermann
69 TR6 PI
Adelaide