Re: Comment on new cars vs. TR4 (some LBC)(long)

To: nfreeman@baincapital.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Comment on new cars vs. TR4 (some LBC)(long)
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 11:57:20 +1100 FILETIME=[FD6215E0:01C1665D]
Noah Freeman wrote:

>So I went to test drive the Subaru impreza WRX (i want
>4wd)...turbucharged intercooled 4 cylinder boxer engine (intercooler
>vent on the hood looks realy cool), 230hp out of 2 liters of
>displacement (wow).  0-60 under 6 seconds on dry cold days.  Car could
>not get better reviews for its price.  I was VERY excited to try this
>thing out...
>
>All I can say is BORING.
>
>It made me realize that what matters is the feel of the whole thing, >not
>how fast it actually goes...

A new car will be fast (at least compared to a TR4), may look good and be
quiet and comfortable. It will have ABS, or 4WD, airbags, CD players,
fantastic reliability and lots of luggage space.

Despite all those points, you are right a classic is far more fun.

People buy cars for different reasons, the reasons you enjoy your TR will
never be matched by a modern car and vice versa. A modern car gets you from
A to B. A classic does it too, but the smile on your face when you reach B
is bigger.

There are of course sacrifices to be made in driving a classic, sometimes
you won't get to B, but then there are no guarantees in a modern car either.
They break down too. Sometimes ;-) In the end its a personal choice. My TR4
is my only car, but I don't drive much. Having said that if I needed a more
regular driver I still wouldn't buy a modern car, I would buy a Triumph
Saloon.

Cheers,
Michael
63' TR4