Rear axle rebuild done - now steering column

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear axle rebuild done - now steering column
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 20:40:43 -0600
A belated thanks to all who offered suggestions for installing the
inner oil seals on my TR3 axle.  My issue was that I simply couldn't
get the seals to start going home without getting cockeyed.  I wound
up damaging both and ordering new ones.

Turns out, the metal shell seals were the problem.  The new ones I
got from TRF (old ones were also from TRF, part of wheel bearing
kits) are modern lip-type oil seals made from hard rubber of some
sort.  A touch of oil to help out, a few gentle taps with my oil seal
driver, and they were in!  Makes me mad that I wasted a few hours and
several bucks on the others - but live and learn, I suppose.

Next project is my steering column.  I disassembled a split-column
steering box from a parts car the other day, without much trouble -
but I cannot, repeat *cannot*, get the drop arm to budge on my actual
original-type (read 6 feet long) steering column.

I've got the worm and shaft out, and the drop arm nut is off (back on
with a little space to prevent pieces flying).  I've been spraying
with Liquid Wrench for 24 hours now.  I have a decent quality two-jaw
puller I have tightened so far I'm afraid it will fly into a million
pieces (actually did shear off part of one of the tabs on the side of
the drop arm!).  I've then whacked it hard with a heavy hammer,
repeatedly.  Liquid Wrench.  Tighten.  Whack.  Repeat.  Argh!

Any suggestions would be welcomed - should I go buy a torch and hope
that heat will help??

Also, some of the splines on the end of the shaft, where the steering
wheel goes on, look pretty bad.  What are the chances these can be
cleaned up with a small file and a lot of patience?  Would it be safe?
(Can the shaft be replaced from any source for a reasonable price?)

TIA,
Dan
--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L 'O' - with a nice shiny rear axle installed!
Now to finally finish the front suspension...

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U 'O' - in storage.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!