RE: TR3 front suspension question

Subject: RE: TR3 front suspension question
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:34:37 -0500
Scott,

>On the lower wishbones, the end that attaches to the trunion, the
>outer locking washer will not slide over the slotted shaft of the
>trunion. Is this forced on the shaft, thus the groves cutting into
>the inner diameter of the washer, when you screw on the slotted nut?

That's the way it works... If you have new trunnions or new trunnion shafts.
It get pushed on as you tighten the nut on the trunnion shaft.

>Also, on the back mount of the lower wishbones, the lower fulcrum
>support bracket only seems to fit if I put it on what appears to be
>backwards in relation to the manual drawings.  In other words, it is
>bent on the lower half, but for the upper hole that the fulcrum bolt
>goes through, I have to put the bracket on the inside of the chassis
>mount versus the outside, which is how the picture shows it, to get
>the hole flush with the outer thrust washer and thus allowing for the
>nyloc not to secure the mounting.  Is this correct or am I really
>getting something messed up?

I would attach the bracket on the outside loosely as shown in the workshop
manual and then the upper screw in the fulcrum.  Then tighten it up.  It is
not a "rocket science" fit thing.  It is just designed to contain the arm.  I
had to work mine a little... then I noticed that if I just loosely assembled
everything and tightened up... it all bent into place.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L(O) - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn