Re:TR6 engine dismantling

To: robc@cisco.com
Subject: Re:TR6 engine dismantling
From: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb@townisp.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 21:26:25 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Rob,
        Got a camera?  Take lots of pictures as it comes apart.  Photos
come in handy when reassembling and reminiscing.
        Get a box of Ziplocks and bag & tag the hardware and small
parts as they come off.  You know what they're for now, but in a
couple of months you will be scratching your head.....where's this go?
        The reassembly is more enjoyable if all the pats are cleaned
before hand.  Get your pan of kerosene, old toothbrushes and bottle
of Simple Green ready, and do the dirty work now.
        Have a notebook nearby to make sketches and to list all the
broken and worn out bits that you will have to order.
        I see you are a Canadian brother.  If you are doing this in an
unheated garage, get a pair of those cheap brown Jersey cloth gloves
and cut off the fingertips.  You will have dexterity and some warmth
too.
        If you get frustrated, turn off the lights and go to bed.  The
problems always look different the next day.
        Most of all, have fun!

                Hope this helps,
                        Rick
                                1973 TR6 CF2570U restored (mostly)
********
>>So are there any tips/hints I should know before I just
attack the lump
with my impact wrench and air ratchet?  I'll be following
my Bentley and
Haynes as best I can but there have to be some BTDT tips
that aren't
documented.  I've never taken an engine apart before (nor
assembled one
but first things first)

Rob
Ottawa,ON