RE: Cylinder head thickness vs. comp ratio

Subject: RE: Cylinder head thickness vs. comp ratio
From: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:52:56 -0500
Hi Pete.

I worked through this calculation recently. Not looking at head thickness,
but how much to shave off to get a given compression ratio. I assumed that
you would be removing a "disk" of volume from the combustion chamber of a
given height. I believe the relationship is close to linear, but not
precisely. Since the combustion chamber is curved, the "disk" is slightly
smaller at the top than at the bottom. You'd have to know the chamber
geometry to be precise about it. Calculating this way would give a slightly
lower actual compression ratio compared to the calculated.

Regards,
Hugh Fader