RE: TR3/TR4 metal fan balance

Subject: RE: TR3/TR4 metal fan balance
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:11:35 -0800 d .us>
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> ... - is a plastic fan or an electric fan conversion, which  seems most
> practical to me. After all, this is what TRiumph did for the TR-6 - better
> technoogy.

Note however that the TR6 has a elastomeric dampener as part of the crank
pulley.

> Interesting about the tranny balance piece, I'll look  for that next time
> I'm under there.

I've got one of those in the parts bin, but since it doesn't rotate, I don't
see how it could affect balance of the rotating parts.  My _guess_ is that
it changed the resonant frequency of the rear mount, probably in an attempt
to prevent one of the annoying buzzes.

> Another thing, I recently learned there is some minor play in the crank
with the
> 'thrust washer test'. Don't know if this has anything to do with this
> crank/fan imbalance or not.

Probably worth investigating, if only because thrust washers are not usually
a problem with the TRactor motor.  It's fairly easy to inspect/change them
with the engine still in the car.  You'll need a new pan gasket ...

Randall