Re: TR4 valves

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4 valves
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 15:26:49 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, Gcafs1@aol.com
ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> Folks, see below, please.  Anyone help him?  He is not on the list so reply
> directly to him.  Thanks.
>
> Art Kelly
>
> In a message dated 31-Jan-02 20:12:46 Eastern Standard Time, Gcafs 1 writes:
>
> > Hi Arthur.   My name is Glen and I own a 65  TR4 I've had it for 30 years
> > and I'm on my 3'rd rebuild ,engine of course, big pistons,balanced
> > everything right down to the clutch assembly.My problem is I need to find
> > bigger valves intake & exhaust none of the parts sup. sell them or know of
> > anyone . But there must be someone out there who's done this before ? with
> > something out of a chevy, ford, jag, If you know of someone or were I could
> > get the valves please drop me a line . thanks Glen

I have oversize valves in my head -- both intake and exhaust. It looks like it
would be a problem putting them in but it is not. They are superior quality --
stainless steel and with a high-flow shape. They are also more expensive than
stock valves from the big 3, coming in at about $30 apiece. Standard valves are
about $20 apiece. However, if your valves have been ground three times, your
seats may be pocketed too low, requiring hard seats on exhaust or intake or both
to correct the problem, in which case putting in larger valves is less expensive
than hard seats and valves.

British Frame and Engine has them. Call Ken Gillanders at 626-443-0939.

I don't know of a low price substitute, but there may be one unknown to me.

--

uncle jack - red, white, and New Blue