The Purple Plot Thickens

Subject: The Purple Plot Thickens
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 20:00:14 -0800
I just might be getting the hang of this after all.  It turns out
that while the conclusions I made about that horn circuit may have
made sense, they were premature and misleading.  Somehow I overlooked
the fact that there are TWO purple wire connectors on the downstream
side of the fuse block, each with 2 purple wires coming out of it.
Before I was only testing the connector that was 'in front'.  The
other is tucked behind and was easy to miss.  This made it easy to
back up two steps and test each set of purple wires with ground
separately.  Sure enough, one pair of wires tested at infinity ohms
(to ground) and the other tested at 2 ohms to ground.  Then it was
just a matter of figuring out which of the four systems those two
purple wires fed, and that immediately cuts my troubleshooting chores
in half!  Yeah!

Simple continuity tests between parts of the different systems and
the ends of those purple wires easily answered that question, so now
I know that my problem is in either the glove box/trunk/seat belt
circuit or the courtesy lamp circuit.  The horn and hazard circuits
are fine.  If I leave their connector hooked up to the fuse block,
but disconnect the other connector, then insert a fuse and connect
the battery, the fuse DOESN'T POP!!  Yeah!  Now we're gettin'
somewhere!

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6