Re: Hyman Ltd. CAVEAT EMPTOR Follow-Up (Details)

To: <jay_welch@juno.com>, <silvestre.ortiz@cditx.com>
Subject: Re: Hyman Ltd. CAVEAT EMPTOR Follow-Up (Details)
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 22:00:43 -0600
Cc: <british-cars@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
From: jay_welch@juno.com <jay_welch@juno.com>

>In short I would suggest to anyone interested in buying a car from a "far
>off land" to use the network of friends available to you in the e-mail
>lists and club chapters.

Amen.  I was lucky to have John Black of Austin Texas (now relocated to
California) check a TR4 for me in San Antonio.  He made an accurate
assessment of the car.  I flew in and drove the car back to Minnesota.  It
is not a concour winner, but it is pretty much as advertised.  There were a
few things that would have been a surprise if I had gone only from the
favorable photos I was shown by the selling agent.  John prepared me for
these and I was able to determine it was still a fair deal BEFORE flying
1300 miles.  Had the seller been less-than-honest (thankfully not a problem
in this case), I'd have been able to pull out of the deal from the comfort
of my own home.

TR44SUE rests in our shop waiting for another summer of fun, especially the
Back to the Fifties street-rod extravaganza and the 2002 VTR convention.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org