Re: Guess My Weight

To: "Geo Hahn" <geohahn@theriver.com>, "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Guess My Weight
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 22:48:51 -0000 g13N0lu08341
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@theriver.com>

> The replacement plate (from Moss) has a space where apparently I am
> expected to stamp in the weight in lbs.  My old plate has no such
> stamped number.  If some original TR4 plates were so stamped, what
> weight was used?  (Yes, I can find weight figures for the car, several
> in fact... looking for what was actually used for the commission plate)

Hi Geo,
    In my experience of Triumphs (though not the TR range), I have not found
the weight quoted on the plate - the space is left blank.

> Also, from what was left of the paint on plate it appears that the
> weight on the original plate was painted on and was in kilos.
> Apparently there were changes or variations in commission plate other
> than the 'early TR4' and 'late TR4 & TR4A' presented in the moss
> catalog?  Thanks for any insight.

Most of the repro plates are drafted by someone who's never actually seen an
original one. It took me a long time to realise that the original plates had
the (absent) weight quoted in Kilos rather than lbs. You will also find that
the typeface is quite unlike that of the original plates. Sorry to be pedantic
about this, but it was this kind of poor reproduction parts that prompted me to
start remanufacturing parts in my own right. Sorry I can't help with a correct
plate for a TR4 - given time I will try to cover all types,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics