Rotoflex Vitesse handling

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rotoflex Vitesse handling
From: P Edwards <pjbe1@myrealbox.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 00:45:26 +0000 teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g140jUu11183
Hi,

I recently bought a Triumph Vitesse Mk2 convertible and would appreciate the
comments of other owners of these cars or GT6s with rotoflex suspension
regarding their handling re. more modern cars.  I also own a Triumph 2000 sedan
(used for everyday transport) and would be particulary interested hearing from
anyone who has driven both cars.  The reason for my enquiry is that whilst I
find the 2000 a very pleasant car to drive, even at reasonably high speeds, and
is well able to keep up with modern vehicles, the Vitesse requires a great deal
more concentration.

There are no obvious major problems with the Vitesse and the suspension had
been totally rebushed by the previous owner, but I notice that above about
55mph the back end seems to squirm about a bit over bumps and the steering
becomes less precise. Does this sound like worn shocks? Incidently, with the
car at rest and unladen the lever arm rear shocks are sitting ~1.5-2" above the
bump stops.  Is this the correct height?
  Before I go on a potential wild goose chase trying to improve things, I would
like to know if these symptoms characteristic of the Vitesse, or should I
expect better?

TIA

Pat