RE: + to- ground and the Starter Motor

Subject: RE: + to- ground and the Starter Motor
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 10:44:58 -0800
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> One caveat here: the fan motors used in TR6 and later models are permanent
> magnet motors and since the field does not change with polarity they WILL
> run backwards.  But these motors were not used in the earlier model cars
> and reversing polarity will not effect them.

Absolutely correct, I should've mentioned that.  But, none of the positive
ground TRs (probably all Standard-Triumph but I'm not sure) had any
permanent magnet motors in them.

Later wiper motors were also permanent magnet, although they will work on
reverse polarity it may cause them to wear out faster.  Since the motor
turns the opposite direction, the thrust on the armature shaft is not taken
by the thrust bearing.

However, I believe Lucas starter motors were always wound field.

Randall