TR4 Gen to Alt convert - having problems - need help

To: "'triumphmail list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Gen to Alt convert - having problems - need help
From: john donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 18:05:13 -0800
Hello List,

The generator on my TR4A is shot, so after reading lots of
discussions here I thought I'd do the alternator conversion.

So I re-read all the e-mails the list put out and went with
Dan Master's recommendation. Got a 7127M rebuilt
alternator at NAPA. Milled down the pivot bolt boss so the
pulley lines up properly. Had the pulley drilled out for the new
alternator (staying with 3/4"). Tried to install the setup but found
the original fan belt was too small, so I got a 40 1/2 " belt (the next
larger size). Installed everything, but the adjustment bracket
was too small so I got a longer one. Now the belt rubs
against the cross-member support.

I took a good look at the 7127M alternator, and compared it
to the original generator. The big difference is the distance
between the alternator centerline and the mounting bracket
centerline. On the generator it's 3 ". On the alternator
it's 3 1/2 ". Hmmmm. That's why the original belt was too small.

I went to back my local parts shop again and looked at a few
alternators. The 7127 was the smallest. Tried the Hitachi.
Tried the new Ford. Tried a Nissan version of the Hitachi.
Nothing less than 3 1/2 ".

Unless I can find a belt in the 39" range, or an alternator with
a smaller centerline-to-centerline distance then I'm screwed,
and out about $125 in parts. plus labor.

Another alternative would be to cut a "V" grove in the
cross-member, but would prefer that as a last resort.

Any other ideas? Experiences?

Thanks!
John in San Diego