RE: Crankshaft end bolt removal

Subject: RE: Crankshaft end bolt removal
From: Jeff Johnson <mondolux@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 21:05:29 -0500
Hugh,
Glad to hear about your success! As for the end-float of the crankshaft, if
you can lever the crank noticeably with a screwdriver, then it's time to
replace the thrust washers. I believe the end float is measured at .004 to
.008" . You wouldn't be able to notice this without a dial indicator. I'd
be willing to bet that you wouldn't have to get a dial indicator- just get
a BA screwdriver and lever the crank back and forth. If you feel the
slightest movement- yep, new thrust washers. If you're unsure when they've
been changed, ( if at all), then the best policy would be to put in new
ones. I found out that they should be changed every 50-60K as routine
maaintenance.

Jeff Johnson-
'76 TR6-  56k and yeah, it needed TW's badly