RE: TR4 trans rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR4 trans rebuild
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:47:28 -0800
> Finally got the transmission apart and have notice a couple things. My
> original problem was it popping out of 2nd gear on hard(ish)
> deceleration.
> The gear and hub assy that selects 1st and 2nd did not slide freely on
> the mainshaft. It was stuck towards the 1st gear side. Shouldn't there
> be some travel in this piece? 5/16inch or so?
> So my problem could be fixed by removing the burrs that are keeping this
> piece from moving freely.
> Other than this everything else looks to be pretty tight including the
> bushings and such.

Mike, the shift hub should move fairly easy on the mainshaft, if it hangs up
the synchromesh won't work properly.  The movement of the hub is what
presses the synchro rings onto the cone of the gear when shifting.

However, I doubt that is the reason for your popping out of 2nd gear.  Since
my question about mixing early and late gearsets, I've heard from several
people who got 'rebuilt' gearboxes with mixed gears/shift rings that pop out
of gear.  No idea if this is your problem, but it's something to think
about.

BTW, disassembled a mystery gearbox last Sunday, with a CC prefix.  Not sure
what car it's from (I got it with a 'TR3' engine on eBay).  It seems to
otherwise have the early 4-synchro gearset, but the 3-4 shift hub seems to
be aluminum !  It also did not slide easily on the mainshaft, but I assume
it loosens up when warm, due to differential expansion.  Earlier and later
hubs were steel.  Does anyone know whence the aluminum ?

Randall