British Auto trim screws/washers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (List Triumph)
Subject: British Auto trim screws/washers
From: pmmacy@att.net
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:40:15 +0000 worldnet.att.net>
Listers:
  Im on a crusade to find a new source for high
quality/low-cost trim screws and washers.  It P***** me
off to pay $0.20 each (or more) for dull SS screws that
are a poor substitute for the original bright chrome,
and $0.15 apiece for the washers to go with them.  A
full TR2/3 interior requires at least 70 of each.
  I contacted Au-ve-co Products (www.auveco.com) and
requested that they add the needed hardware to their
product line, or price a bulk quantity to me.  The
response was that they dont do special orders, but
they would keep my request and add the items to their
product line IF THEY GOT ENOUGH REQUESTS.  Heres where
you come in.
  Please take a moment and send a note to
ggilmore@auveco.com. If that mailbox is full you can use
gary@auveco.com. In the subject line call it British
auto trim screws/washers.  Dont forward this entire
note, but cut and paste the following section, or
compose something similar:

   Please consider adding #4 x 5/8 chrome slotted
   oval head tapping screws and #4 flush type
   countersunk trim washers to your product line.

  Include your name, city, state, country, make and year
of car, and business name if appropriate. Pass this
request along to all other British auto clubs, lists,
businesses, and enthusiasts that you know.
 I know that Triumph, MG, and Jaguar used these,
probably all British auto manufacturers until at least
the mid 1960s, maybe later.  Even if your particular
car doesnt use this size/type hardware, send Gary a
note anyway.  Next year you might have a new car that
needs these!   It will be hard for this company to
ignore a thousand or so requests from British auto
enthusiasts around the world.
  Presently, Au-ve-co sells the same size/type screw
with a phillips oval head for $5.74 per 100, and washers
in the next larger size #6 (nickel plated brass) for
$4.51 per 100.  (Ive never seen the washers in chrome
in the 35 years Ive been doing auto trim work, theyve
always been nickel plated brass).  I would expect that
the sizes we need would be similarly priced.  Can you
see why Im hot about this?
  If youve never heard of Au-ve-co, they have what I
consider to be the ultimate automotive hardware
catalog.  Over 500 pages of bolts, clips, screws,
fasteners, grommets, you name it.  They only sell
through distributors, but contact customer service using
the info on their web site to find one close to you.
Try to chase down a catalog, it will be worth the
effort.  NFI.
  Thanks for your help.  Well all benefit if these
items become available from this source.  If it works
this time, we can have a run at them again for other
hard to find or over-priced bits.
--
Mark Macy
New Carlisle, OH