Re: Overhauls

To: lep@epix.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overhauls
From: BPAULTR3@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:26:33 EST
In a message dated 2/13/2002 6:50:26 AM Mountain Standard Time, lep@epix.net
writes:

> At what point would a Triumph engine require an overhaul?  Is there some
> mileage point where one should start to think about it?
>
> I ask because as I sell off some of my other toys, I'm starting to get
> closer to looking harder for something.

Mileage means very little.  Condition means almost everything. Look for a
solid car in basic good mechanical and cosmetic shape. Just be familiar with
how to detect mechanical problems in general plus specific areas that
deteriorate on the model you are interested in. Don't sweat the small stuff,
like a light not working. Expect to have to make some repairs, plan on it for
your peace of mind and try to be sure they are relatively small repairs. A
car with a good solid engine & tranny that looks real nice in and out but
with bad tires, maybe a failing generator or some other issues might be a
great buy.   A car with a rotted body and smoking engine is almost always not
a good buy.  If there is "just" a 'small' rust hole in the rockers, the odds
are that the rockers are shot and need replacement.Repair is expensive.

 I am more concerned about the condition of hte body than the mechanicals.
For me a front end rebuild is no big deal, but a good paint job is way beyond
me, as is letting in metal.  Use a good mechanic if you need to.

Bob Paul