Re: TR3 Overdrive

To: "Todd Richmond" <twr@hpestwr.fc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 Overdrive
From: "elliottd" <elliottd@look.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:23:12 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Todd Richmond <twr@hpestwr.fc.hp.com> asked

> I'm sure this must have been discussed on the list plenty of times, but
since the archives are not available . . .

> 1) When did TR3's start coming with overdrive, if ever?
>
> 2) How do you tell if you have overdrive?
>
> 3) If you don't have overdrive, what's the best way to install it?  What
> do you need to do it?
>
> 4) I think I've read somewhere that the overdrive gives you ~25% increase
> in tire rotation versus no overdrive at the same rpm.  How big a deal is
> that?  When I get done with my restoration, am I gonna immediately wish
> I had overdrive on my TR3A?

1) They were available starting with the TR2.
2) If you have a switch on the dash, to the left of the steering wheel which
is marked "OVERDRIVE", there is a chance you have one.
3)    The best way is to buy a new 4-speed gear box like yours which alraedy
has an overdrive attached and install it.  The not "best way" is to have an
expert do it for you.  You will need to get a switch, a relay the wiring an
adaptor plate and a different output shaft, assuming you can find a separate
overdrive.
4) At 75 MPH in 4th, I'm taching 3750 rpm.  When I click into overdrive, the
tach drops to 3000 rpm.  If you plan to do a lot of highway driving, it's
essential.  I've done 60,000 miles in the last 11 summers in mine.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A TS 27489 LO
Montreal, Canada