TR3 Overdrive

To: Todd Richmond <twr@hpestwr.fc.hp.com>
Subject: TR3 Overdrive
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:51:58 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Todd Richmond
>1) When did TR3's start coming with overdrive, if ever?

I believe the overdrive was available from the very start.

>2) How do you tell if you have overdrive?

The real test is to look under the car.  The overdrive unit is a large lump
on the end of the transmission.  If you study the shop manual you will see
what to look for.  Other clues will be the overdrive switch sticking out of
the dashboard and the relay under the dash.

>3) If you don't have overdrive, what's the best way to install it?  What
>do you need to do it?

The best way is to buy another transmission with overdrive and replace your
old one.  To convert your current transmission you will need to completely
disassemble it to replace the mainshaft.

>4) I think I've read somewhere that the overdrive gives you ~25% increase
>in tire rotation versus no overdrive at the same rpm.  How big a deal is
>that?  When I get done with my restoration, am I gonna immediately wish
>I had overdrive on my TR3A?

You can live without it until you drive a car with it.  At 75 MPH your
engine will be turning about 3,700 RPM.  With overdrive it will be turning
at 3,000.  At 60 your tach will read 3,000 without and 2300 with.  Makes
for nice highway driving.  All my cars have it.  I couldn't live without
it.

An alternative is the Toyota 5 speed conversion.  If originality is not a
great concern it is a great way to go - especially if you have trouble
sourcing an overdrive transmission.

Cheers

Dave
57 TR3 (A-type)