Re: TR6: Camber question s mrd01.sa.gov.au>

To: "triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6: Camber question s mrd01.sa.gov.au>
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:45:18 -0500
Frank B. wrote:

> After I rebuilt the front suspension on my TR6 last year
> ...the camber on the RH wheel went from negative to positive.
> Can anyone suggest a reason for this happening?

The camber changed?  How much?

A related question came up a year or so ago, wherein the castor/caster
changed significantly after a rebuild.  (We had a big discussion about the
spelling of castor/caster. :-)  Perhaps there is a lesson here, but perhaps
not.

Apparently one (or both?) of the A-arms appears to be a symmetric triangle
but in fact isn't.  If you flip it upside down, which also flips it
front/rear, its outer end moves forward or backward, thereby changing the
castor/caster.  Yeah, I know, castor/caster isn't camber, but with enough
inward inclination of the steering axis, the one affects the other.  Also if
you (or an alignment shop) attempted to fix the now bad castor/caster with
massive shims, that would also affect the camber.
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com