Older vs Newer TR6s

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Older vs Newer TR6s
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:49:55 -0800 (PST)
I don't want to get into one of those ------- contests on this issue but here's
my.002 worth.

I'm not an expert on TR6s but the more obvious differences between early and
late TR6s were the chrome vs rubber bumpers (allready noted) that came in about
1974 and the reduced compression (early ones had 8.5/1 latest ones had 7.5/1?).
 In addition, due to US mandated bumper height requirements, the bumpers and
ride height (I think this is correct) was raised on the later models resulting
in a higher center of gravity (easily fixed with different springs).  The
emissions issues that had to be addressed by BL on the later models did not
help in the performance area either.  I must admit though that a judicious
selection of performance improvements taken from the later models to offset the
reduced compression eg: longer runner intake manifold for more torque on the
later models and the cast iron dual pipe exhaust manifold (I still use the
single pipe after that) have helped improve the performance of my "early" TR6
(along with a 10/1 compression ratio).  I also retrofitted A type overdrive to
my 6 and now I couldn't live without it.  It is especially good on the
interstate.

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6