Re: O/K T/R 6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: O/K T/R 6
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 16:11:28 EST
In a message dated 2/16/2002 3:53:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
vafred@erols.com writes:

> but most people seem to forget how these cars
> received the very bad rep from back then !!! They were bought as a throw
> away
> brand new car by a large group of college kids, they drove the heck out of
> them, did no maintenance and when they broke down they just went after
> another, most were never even washed, come on now guys some of you
> remember,
> just don't want to talk about it

And I, in turn, agree with Fred. At least that was true of the cars as they
progressed from first to second owners and beyond. Keep in mind, too, that
the cars that remain today likely a: were pampered by a single owner over the
years; b: fully restored and renovated from goodness-knows-what status; c:
"survivors" in whatever form ; or d: hulks awaiting treatment as per b:
above.

Also, remember that, despite Standard-Triumph's best efforts (read about it
in the latest issue of VTR's _The Vintage Triumph_), the cars were often sold
and serviced by dealers whose main focus was on Oldsmobile or Mercury or
Dodge. Parts weren't always that easy to come by even from those dealers
(they had to care first, and not all did), and there were few clubs, no
Internet and no "Big Three" suppliers a phone call or e-mail away.

Heck, in many ways we're almost better off now than some of us were when the
cars were current!

--Andy Mace

"I don't know much about being a millionaire, but I'll bet I'd be darling at
it." (Dorothy Parker)