Re: F & R Seal on TR 4 cyl. eng.

To: ebk <ebk@buffnet.net>
Subject: Re: F & R Seal on TR 4 cyl. eng.
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 18:20:57 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
ebk wrote:

> Hi List!
>     I'm at the point of installing the Felt Gasket into the Rear End
> Bearing Cap. I know what the book states [of dipping felt into gasket &
> pack into both groves. I did act on the last thread [12/01] of
> purchasing more felt {which I did}.
>     Questions:
> 1. Should the felt soak in the gacket selack & installed as:
>     a) ONE long felt,     OR!
>     b) Cut-up into 1" lengthes?

Cut up into short chunks. Make a driving tool that just fits the
rectangle of the seal hole. Soak the pieces well in gasket shellac and
then drive them down _hard_ and as far down as possible. The last one at
the top sort of has to be pushed in from its side, rather than from the
top. Then let it sit for a day or so, and then cut the remainder off
with a razor knife. It will seal that way.

> 2. Is there a better way or a better product to use instead of the
> gasket sleck?

You have to use a sealer which is liquid enough to soak into the felt
thoroughly. The thicker the sealer, the less likelihood of it soaking in
enough. The last time I did a TR4 engine, I poured a small bottle of
Indian Head gasket shellac into a bowl, dumped all the pieces in and let
them soak, then turned them every so often, sort of like a mechanic's
marinade.... <smile>

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

The gulf between content and substance continues to widen....