Engine Stand

Subject: Engine Stand
From: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:08:40 -0500
Well, I am about ready to pull the engine on my TR6. Probably comes out next
weekend. I am fortunate enough to have friends to loan me an engine stand
and a crane.

Now, I have never gone this far with an auto engine before. The most I've
done before is the head on my motorcycle -- a Triumph Tiger by the way. So,
I'm hoping for some general advice as well as answers to some questions.

The stand is missing the spacers to hold the engine away from it. Would 1/2"
pipe be a suitable material for these? How long do they need to be?

What grade bolts would be strong enough to hold the block and head?

The Haynes manual gives procedures for pulling with and without the trans.
Bentley just has engine and trans. I'm guessing it's very difficult to line
the engine to the trans with it mounted when re-installing. Opinions?

Any advice or gotchas on de-coupling the trans and engine when they are out?

Any advice about making re-installation go smoothly?

Thanks in advance.

Hugh Fader