RE: oil weight for transmission

To: Gavin Rhodes <grhodes@talbotcorp.com>, Triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: oil weight for transmission
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:09:21 -0800
> Oops, also, how much fluid needs to be put in?

The book says 1.8 US pints without OD, 3.3 US pints drain and refill with
OD.  (Some of the oil is trapped in the OD, capacity from dry is given as
4.2 US pints.)

> Hello all, I need to get the tranny fluid changed on my TR3- what
> weight oil
> is appropriate for this? I seem to recall it was an 80 weight,
> but it's been
> awhile. Please reply to me personally, I'm on digest mode.

Factory recommendation until 1960 or so was motor oil, either 20,30 or 50
weight depending on climate.  I use Valvoline 20W50 racing (motor) oil in
mine.  Lots of people use SAE 90 (or 80W90) gear oil and seem to have no
problem.  Note that the 'weight' system is different for motor oil and gear
oil.  SAE 90 gear oil is very roughly equivalent in viscosity to SAE 40
motor oil.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV