RE: I Thought I was in love

To: "'greenman62@hotmail.com'" <greenman62@hotmail.com>, jimmad@juno.com, philip.smith25@verizon.net
Subject: RE: I Thought I was in love
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:57:30 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
When are they going to invent something new? Accursed pistons with gears and
joints and ten million moving parts. Nothing better mechanically since 1919.
Oh a lot better machined and assembled I will grant you; but not new. In
technology, as a general rule it's said that when the control unit becomes
more advanced than the machine it's controlling it's a sure sign that the
fundamental principle of the system is obsolete. Right now we have ever
finer control using multi-kilohertz mechanical adjustments to get the last
gasp of power out of a 15% duty-cycle Carnot engine that was scientifically
well understood in 1850.

I love my Triumph, don't get me wrong. Part of the reason I love it so much
is that I consider it to be a scientific curiousity, an antique. Bringin me
back to a time when it seemed the issues were simpler. An illusion I know,
but it's a comfortable one. The new cars are truly smooth compared to the
old machines, but under it all they are still buckets of rattling parts
emitting clouds of toxic gas.

I remember a recent IBM commercial with the guy who played Captain Cisko
saying "they promised me flying cars, where are they?"

Razor, Viper, Crossfire.. Sheesh! Why don't they call it the Crossbow, it
would at least put the technology in the right category.

Bah Humbug!

(Hastily donning flameproof shorts),

Mark Hooper
72 TR6
92 Buick Regal (For which I had to use an oscilloscope to put on a remote
control for the door)