Re: Accident Advice-Pretty Long also

To: seanan@crosslink.net, nass@yahoogroups.com, spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Accident Advice-Pretty Long also
From: Rosspemlee@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 22:53:15 EST
In a message dated 2/23/2002 6:03:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
seanan@crosslink.net writes:

>     I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how I need to
> deal with this.
>
> As usual, any and all advice and past experiences would be appreciated.
>
>     I'm going to have a nice, stiff drink now!!!
>
> Slante,
> Sean Twigg

Sean,
Hope the drink was single malt. :o)
After watching the advice multiply and having worked in the insurance claim
business for over thirty years and almost ten years in the auto repair
business, I felt my $.02 couldn't hurt.
First, let me state that I am not an attorney either but, from what you
describe, it is difficult for me to believe you need one.(I am making the
assumption here, that there was no injury to a person)
Randle's advice on repair information gathering is good. The most important
thing to you, should be that your car be restored to, as near possible,  its
condition just prior to the damage. That is, of course, what the insurance
company owes you.
Its been my experience that, in most good size towns there is usually a body
shop that specializes in LBC's and or custom, restored type cars. Find this
shop. (local car clubs are a good source) After satisfying your self that
this is the outfit to repair your car, have them prepare a detailed estimate
of repair costs and present this to USAA along with any loss of use (rental
car) demands that you might have. Both the insurance company and the shop
understand that there is a possibility of supplemental damage and have
handled this many times. In most cases the shop and claims people can reach
an agreement on the cost of repairs. A good shop will not agree to any amount
less than necessary to repair your car correctly.
The key here is to approach this in a businesslike manner. Getting angry, as
I'm sure you know, is counterproductive.
Despite the advice to "Stick it too 'em" unless you are distantly related to
Don Quixote (SP?) You probably aren't going to get very far making lots of
loud noises. Most claims people are pretty good folks and, if you make it
clear that you are a reasonable, (not a pushover) person and can back your
claim, you are probably not going to have much difficulty getting you car
correctly repaired.
The small claims court and need for an attorney are things you need to
consider only if and when you are unable to reach an agreement. Before I
would involve them, I would use your own collision insurance, pay your
deductible and ask them to subrogate (big word-means standing in your place
and collecting both the money they paid out and your deductible for you).
Wow, I said $.02 -looks more like $50. Give it a try.
Yours Aye!
Doug Ross
If you can't get single malt Wild Turkey works pretty good!