RE: cams and lifters

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: cams and lifters
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:41:05 -0800
> So if someone were dumb enough to keep on driving their car long
> distances with
> a persistent oil leak . . .letting it run low sometimes. . . .
> you might say
> the cam would be one of the first things to suffer since it isn't getting
> "splashed."

I wouldn't _think_ this would be a problem, since as long as you have oil
pressure there will be lots of oil being slung off of the crankshaft, as it
comes through the rod bearings.  And if you're driving without oil pressure,
the rod bearings would probably go first <g>

Cam lobes and lifters do seem to be a common problem, especially if you make
other 'performance' improvements, but my impression is that this is more due
to poor replacement materials, and poor machining techniques, than lack of
lubrication.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver - with "through hardened" lifters from BFE planned for
the next engine rebuild Real Soon Now.