Rover V8's in TR7s

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rover V8's in TR7s
From: "Brian Furgalus" <bf252201@ohio.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:21:30 -0500
Listers,

As some of you might remember, I have a 1981 Fuel Injected TR7.  I yearn for
power and highway cruising ability, and have decided that the best way to
accomplish this is by converting to a Rover V8.  I have my eyes set on a 3.9
Hotwire Injected V8 from the Range Rover of the 1988-1994(?) period, for
increased midrange torque, and the added reliability from the Hotwire digital
injection system.

I plan on using the Rimmer Brothers V8 conversion kit as a starting point.  I
have two concerns though with the kit.

  1.. Will the plenum chamber on the Hotwire system clear the bonnet?  I
figure the second bulge on the later TR7's would take care of that, but I'm
not certain.  Any thoughts?
  2.. Transmission crossmember.  The kit doesn't come with them, they're NLA,
and rare as heck.  The fact that the Rimmer kit doesn't come with one, makes
me wonder how they intend to have their customers fit the engine in with a
genuine TR8 subframe and propshaft, but with the standard TR7 crossmember???
  3.. On the same lines as above, will the TR7 shifter extension work, or will
I need a SD1 or TR8(eek!) shifter extension?

Thanks for the help guys!

Brian Furgalus
1981 TR7 DHC #407148