tr4 rear shocks

To: frankdaley@hotmail.com, Triumph 6-pack mail list <6pack@autox.team.net>, triumph mail list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: tr4 rear shocks
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:47:18 -0500
Cc: ArthurK101@aol.com
Hi Frank-Just finished a rear shock up grade on my 6 last week. I can
recommend the tube shock conversion with out hesitation. A very easy
installation as they are a direct bolt replacement to the lever arm
shocks.
There have been some owners that have had chassis mount cracks from the
tube shock change but after a first hand check of the mounts & shock
travel I suspect the welds and chassis were questionable before the
upgrade. I saw no reason for any more or less stress on the area the new
bracket mounts to than before the change. As a matter of fact the new
tube shocks geometry is more direct and requires less stiffness to
control tire bounce than the levers. I would not recommend using a
tightly tuned Koni or Spax unless a hole is drilled through the top of
the mount through the inner fender well to control the additions torque
on the bracket.
I am using TRF competition springs that lowered the car about 1.5" and
the KYB's that came with the kit keep the car very comfortable on the
street. I was amazed at the lightness and a sense of quiet from the new
set-up. I'm not exactly sure why it's seems quieter but it is. The lever
shocks have to be overly stiff to over come the leverage of the offset &
as most of the low tech design mechanics on the car, there is plenty of
room for improvement.
I have pics of the unit from VB on my web site, click on the link on my
letter head & go to the pics at the bottom. Any questions feel free to
ask away.

--
Mitch Seff
75 TR6