Re: Break-in oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (List Triumph)
Subject: Re: Break-in oil
From: pmmacy@att.net
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 01:49:08 +0000 .worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:51:57 -0500
From: "rmf3860@erols.com" <rmf3860@erols.com>
Subject: Break-in oil

Williams' book recommends mineral oil for initial break
in of a new engine. For
those with the book, is he suggesting mineral oil for
each of the oil changes
through 6,000 miles? (see page 94). I really don't think
it's clear.,

What have other members used for initial break-in of
their rebuilt engines? I'm
planning ahead; I should have my engine back from the
machine shop in a week or
so.

Thanks
Bob Fabie
'75 TR6

Bob:
  I've always used a non-detergent oil for break-in of
car engines, and mineral oil (also non-detergent) for
airplane engines.  The concensus of opinion within my
circle was that the detergent kept the cylinder walls
too clean and slick while the presence if some
microscopic "grit" would help to seat the rings.  I
don't know if this is an old mechanics' wives tale or
not, but I have never had problem with numerous engines
broken in this way.  Also, 1000 miles (auto) or 50 hours
(airplane) has always been adequate.
--
Mark Macy
New Carlisle, OH