Thanks-Break-in Oil

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thanks-Break-in Oil
From: "rmf3860@erols.com" <rmf3860@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:14:32 -0500
Cc: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[E27BDB30:01C1C0C6] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g212EtG09022
Just a note of thanks to the many people and friends (thanks Fred Thomas) who
responded to my question about the correct oil to use for a new engine
break-in. Clearly, there's no single correct answer, but there's generally
agreement that the initial oil change should be done at 500 miles. It was also
generally suggested that the RPMs be kept below 3000 and to avoid lugging the
engine. Others have also suggested varying speeds (rmps) rather than maintaing
any steady speed for too long a time. The initial use of non detergent oil was
also suggested. And, there's nothing "wrong" with using the proper viscosity
mineral oil for the initial break-in period.,

I really appreciate everyone's help. I can't wait to start putting the motor
back together!

Bob Fabie
Fredericksburg, Va
'75 TR6

PS: Had to buy 20 over pistons. British Parts Northwest had the absolute best
price for these and they are great folks to deal with. TRF and Moss are also
great vendors, but sometimes cost does factor in to the equation.