Tuning ZS 175 Carbs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tuning ZS 175 Carbs
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 05:01:55 -0800 (PST)
I personally haven't had the best of luck with the old "raise the piston"
method.  But then I'm not the most confident or patient guy in the world
either.

I'd say Get a hold of a color tune kit.
They have worked well for me.
Even better. . . get a hold of two of them so you can adjust the front and rear
carbs simultaneously.

I did a frankenstein rebuild on a few TR4 ZS175 carbs a couple of weeks ago.
(Collect a few carbs, swipe best looking parts off each of them and make the
best two)

When I put the carbs on the car . . . I got DRASTICALLY different settings for
the jets on the two carbs to bring them in to tune, and one might be dribbling
fuel out the bottom.

Yesterday I got a bonafide rebuild kit . . . hopefully I'll do a better job
this go around.

Scott Tilton
Feeling the cold wind blowing inside the TR-6 this morning in Leesburg, VA

Geo Hahn <geohahn@theriver.com>  Wrote:

I've set the TR4 carb mixture using the method described in Haynes of
cranking the jet all the way up then bringing it back down 3 turns.

Seems to run okay but is there a method for dialing in a more exact
setting?

The manual describes lifting the piston 1/32 inch with the result being
no change in engine speed if the mix is correct... speeding up if to
rich, stalling if too lean.  Is that an adequate test?  I'm willing to
drive -- stop -- adjust -- rinse & repeat -- if that is necessary but
would need to know what I am looking for, i.e. what are the driving
symptoms of too rich or too lean?

Thanks for any help.

Geo Hahn
64 TR4