TR-4 Choke cables

To: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Subject: TR-4 Choke cables
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:17:11 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Scott Tilton
>I had to purchase a new choke cable for the TR-4 (with Zenith Stromberg
Carbs)

Over the years . . mine has gotten progressively shorter and shorter.

Why?

Because the end of the cable that gets clamped in the carb body always gets
frayed and really messed up so badly that it won't go through the holes in
the
linkage .  . etc.

As I said before, I'm not the most patient guy in the world so I end up
cutting
it down shorter and shorter.

Has anyone got a good way to keep the end of that wire from getting frayed?

Some sort of sleeve that gets crushed on it?
Soldering?
<

Scott, you can take it to a welding shop and ask them to "braze" the
strands together at the end.  Brazing is like soldering but with different
material.  Steel won't take solder and welding will embrittle the strands
causing them to break anyway.

Idea #2: In an attempt to keep the strands from fraying (unwinding) get
some small diameter heatshrink tubing and shrink onto the end of the wire.
-Note- this may not work very well but is easy to try.

Idea #3: Get a crimp ferrel at the local hardware store and form a loop at
the end of the cable with it.  Now, instead of clamping the wire in the
clamp you capture the loop under the screw head.  Note that the loop should
be bigger than the screw diameter but smaller than the screw head diameter.

Idea #4: there are more benign ways of clamping to a stranded wire.
Running the end of a screw is about the worst way.  Some clamp plates where
the screw presses onto a non-rotating piece that clamps to another
non-rotating piece will securely clamp the wire without fraying it.

Shall I go on?

Dave (Personally I would try #2 first (easiest) and #1 second although #3
isn't all that tough.  #4 would require a modest amount of machine shop
facilities.) Massey

57 TR3 (with SU HS6's froma Volvo with customized throttle and choke
linkages)
71 TR6
80 TR8