Piston Liner Set options for TR 4-pots

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Piston Liner Set options for TR 4-pots
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 20:53:23 -0800 (PST)
I spent some time researching this question both on
the net and this list.

Here are some of your options:

My choice was AE Hepolite 87mm available from Moss, TRF, probably others.
UK made. High Quality. Supplied with matching liners and the
piston\ring\liner clearance already set up for you. Weight from piston to
piston was spot on. Specified by Kas Kastner for most of his engines as
mentioned in his book. Supplied with copper figure 8 seals. Took a while
for my rings to seat. At least a couple of thousand miles.

There was a much less expensive set of 87mm piston and liners also
available from Moss and probably other vendors.  Made in India. Probably
acceptable for stock restoration. No experience with these. Dubious choice
for any performance rebuild IMHO.

Mahle pistons from BPNW. I didn't even know about these until Brian got
his set from them.  I have source other engine parts from BPNW and they
are always of high quality at a very good price.  As mentioned, Mahle
pistons are OEM for Porsche, VW, BMW and other European makes. Not sure if
liners supplied. Sounds like a great alternative to the AEs.

89mm, 92mm and I think even larger sets available from British Frame and
Engine and other UK vendors i.e., racetorations, revingtonTR, etc. Pricy.
At some point you have to machine your block to accept the oversize
liners beyond 89mm *I THINK*.  The block machining cut-off might be 92mm.
Anybody running a set of these? Do tell.

Venolia forged racing pistons. Pick your size. Expensive and strong.
Requires much greater piston\liner clearance than other cast pistons
mentioned above, and noisy as a result. Best suited to full-bore, high RPM
racing.

Also possible: Have your original 83mm liners bored out to new 86mm or
87mm pistons.  Machine shops set up for motorcyles are set up to do this
type of machining. Often the cost of machining makes this option not cost
effective compared to just buying new, larger piston\liner set. Also,
you're assured more setup time with your piston\ring\liner clearance.

Bottom line: For a nice stree rebuild, get the 87mm AEs or Mahles.
Probably the best bet for the money.  No cost savings in using new 83
or 86mm sets as I recall.

Money no object?  Get the mongo 89mm+ jugs and liners.....and a set of
carillo rods. :^)

-jeffrey