RE: Piston Liner Set options for TR 4-pots

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Piston Liner Set options for TR 4-pots
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 21:07:26 -0800 >
> 89mm, 92mm and I think even larger sets available from British Frame and
> Engine and other UK vendors i.e., racetorations, revingtonTR, etc. Pricy.
> At some point you have to machine your block to accept the oversize
> liners beyond 89mm *I THINK*.  The block machining cut-off might be 92mm.
> Anybody running a set of these? Do tell.

I'm not running them (yet), but 89mm is the cut-off.  92mm requires
machining the block and are not recommended for the street as they heat
unevenly and eventually warp.  Larger ones are possible, but not recommended
at all.  Not sure who BFE gets the pistons from offhand, but the liners are
made locally, from a higher grade of steel than the thicker liners.  ISTR
the pistons are too, but I could be mistaken.

Randall