compression testing

To: "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: compression testing
From: <lstein6@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 07:51:56 -0700
hey guys,
   before i blew up my 72 gt6 engine i used to have 200 lbs compression in all
6 cylinders (really).  i don't know how the previous owner got the compression
so high, but it worked.  well that is until it blew up.  anyway, now that i
have the engine rebuilt, with the same high dome pistons (new replacements)
and a high performace cam etc.  i have run the engine a total of 20 minutes on
the engine stand.  yes, i had all the safety gear, radiator etc. hooked up.
here is my question.  i have removed all the plugs and ran a compression test.
now i have 145 to 155 lbs in each cylinder.   they are not all exact as in 150
for all 6.  is 145-155 normal ?  okay to have a difference of 10 lbs between
different cylinders ?  the cylinder head is the same one, just completely
rebuilt with new seats, valves etc.  the block is the same one just cleaned,
honed, machined, the crank is the same one, just polished.  are there
different head gaskets with different thicknesses that can account for the
previous compression ?  the old pistons were the high dome stamped .030, so
the new ones are the high dome done .040  what do you think ?  if i have a
problem i want to fix it before i put the engine back in the car.  or is this
fine and just move on ahead ?
thanks for all the great help you guys share !
larry@ehc.org