Herald Progress

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Herald Progress
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 13:43:27 -0500
For those who are interested...

The 64 Herald Convertible is coming along this month- I am hoping to have her
together for a ride on my birthday on the 29th.

A friend just made the fatal disclosure that he has a sand blasting cabinet in
operation in his garage now- so I will be availing myself of this opportunity
tomorrow , so that I may get all the little items finished, and prepped for
paint.

The engine is now in short block stage- rebored and cleaned out thoroughly, it
is reassembled save for the head(I have to pick that up from the machine shop-
saw it yesterday, looks great) and a few small details. New bearings, valves,
guides, timing apparatus... Also the one piece rear seal is installed, with the
scroll speedi-sleeved.

Differential came back from professional reassembly, yesterday, as well. Just
have to finish cleaning the driveshaft. Axles from flange out are redone, and
on the shelf, complete with brakes, ready to go.

Front suspension is partially disassembled- stripping upper and lower control
arms for repaint. Spindles are together, including brakes, struts are ready(NOS
Spax, which came with the car)

I took the tires from the rims yesterday, to strip and repaint them. I have
decided to make them white, to reflect the 12/50 engine powering her. I made
the discovery once they were off, that one rim was a 4 1/2 J, not a 3 1/2 D
that the others are. (I could fit the D's into the J between the lip on either
side!) Luckily, I have 4 spare 3 1/2 D rims, so I just replaced that one in the
set. If anyone needs one, let me know- might come to terms. I now have 4 good
ones, and two good spares. (I checked all my rims for true, and all but one was)

The dash top, being summarily destroyed several months ago, after being hit by
a wayward deodorant stick as the dash was sitting in my room, will shortly be
recovered, and repadded. I think I can manage this well. Just have to work out
some of the dynamics...But the material is a close match, and I got new padding.

Interior is ready to go in, just have to finish the back seat. I am going to be
putting in a non-factory AM/FM/CD, and have to decide how the speakers will be
hidden... This will be fun. Probably similar to what the car had when I got
her, but I will try to be a better camouflage artist for them.

I will be tearing down and inspecting the tranny very soon, and finishing the
electrics when I put them into the car. The charging system will be AC/Delco
alternator converted- using a base bracket of my own design, utilizing the
original upper mount and belt. This way I can reconvert if necessary, without
having to do much, other than wire mods.

The body is almost ready for paint. I plan to have the last three items welded
this week, by my welding buddy...In my shop- as they  are assembled and on the
trolley in the shop here. Once he is done, I can do all the body smoothing, and
prep, so it can go to the paint shop within the next two weeks, I HOPE!!!

Two questions for those who might know... According to Costigan's book, the
push on door seals for a 1200 are GREY not Black (pg. 89- "Door seals fitted to
948s incorporated a fabric section which matched the upholstery colour; 1200
seals were invariably grey...") This is correct? And, Which way does the hood
stow area/trunk divider install? Trunk side, or stow side, which way are the
clips pointing...etc

I will be trying to get more pics today....

Scott