Re: 1978 Triumph : Rally Spitfire

To: mcgibney <mcgibney@attcanada.ca>
Subject: Re: 1978 Triumph : Rally Spitfire
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 16:39:04 -0700
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
mcgibney wrote:

> Looks like another case of an over imaginative seller. Triumph had a set of
> factory rally Spits in 1964 and 65 - this is definitely NOT one of them. See
> Graham Robson's "Spitfire and GT6" for details.
>
> cheers
>
> Scott

Speaking of which:  There is a photo and article on a red Spitfire Mk2 in Moss'
British Motoring that I just got in the mail.  The owner suggests that
it may once have raced at LeMans.  The article says that the engine is a 1147
with an 8-port head like the Works cars.  I don't think this car was
ever part of the works stable since it is sporting what looks to be a MkIV or
1500 style hardtop instead of the characteristic GT6 style fiberglass
top.  And also, the article says that the paint is original.  Since it is Red
and not Green or light blue (like the works cars were) it could not have
been one of those.

That said, I guess it could have been a special order car that like the Macau
Spit was made to order for a demanding customer.

Joe