Re: Language

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Language
From: Bill Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 09:46:52 -0800
>Message text written by a Wallace
>>Luckily someone has come out with a Canadian dictionary - it used to be
>quite difficult trying to remember whether we spell a word the American way
>
>or the British way.
><
>
>Excuse me?!!  You'd spell it the CANADIAN way!

All this is very interesting, but none of you can match the beauty of
the Austrailan Language, fortunately I have a very good friend who
sent my an English/American/Canadian translation booklet that I can
highly recommend. It is  titled:  Lets Stalk Strine, by Afferbeck
Lauder.   Just an excerpt...

        Dingo: A word with two separate, unrelated meanings.
        When intoned with equal emphasis on the syllables it is the
        negative response to the question "Jeggoda?" As in:
        Q: Jeggoda the tennis?
        A: Nar, dingo. Sorten TV.
        When, however, the emphasis is on the first syllable,
        dingo becomes a parliamentary term of mild reproof.

With all due apologies to my good Aussie Myte...Air Vice Marshall McDermott.
<G>
--
Bill Pugh
Two @ Home