Re: [triumph_herald] Herald Progress

To: Dave Hodge <cookieman2000@mac.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [triumph_herald] Herald Progress
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 11:14:33 -0500
Yes, I do have a job outside my Herald restoration... But I have no social
life, no current girlfriend, nothing else to do in my spare time. And I can
commit to a hobby till I find the aforementioned girlfriend. Besides- I want
to DRIVE this car- not muck about with its innards till I die.  And, if you
know what you're doing, and preplan well, little tasks fly by. Last night, I
disassembled two trannys, chemical stripped many small parts in preparation
for glass beading(You may ask why- I'll tell ya'- less media used stripping,
less time doing the glass beading. I use that for the finish surfacing to
grip the new paint) including the rims(5) Today, I'll be carting the parts
over to glass bead, then prime most of them over the next few days.

While I am doing that work, I toss in other needed things- I will be
finishing the assembly of the rear seat, and recovering the dash, as the
original covering got a nice star in it. All my sub assemblies save for the
Engine and Tranny are finished, and I just have a few hours of body
smoothing to do.

So, the 29th is a much more reasonable time frame than you might think. I
had thought she'd be done by last June, when I'd started the previous
November. And I am now behind schedule, as I really didn't feel like even
messing about with her for about 3 months after September 11...

Haven't rushed yet,
Scott :)

> I am impressed.
> Congradulations on your persistance.
> One question. Do you have a job outside of restoring your Herald? I can't
> imagine having the time to do all the work you described by the 29th.
>
> Unless you mean the 29th of say August?
>
> Keep up the good work, and remember DON'T RUSH! It will only cost you in
the
> long run.
> I know, been there, done that, bought the T shirt.
>
> dave
> >
> > The 64 Herald Convertible is coming along this month- I am hoping to
have her
> > together for a ride on my birthday on the 29th.
> >
> > A friend just made the fatal disclosure that he has a sand blasting
cabinet in
> > operation in his garage now- so I will be availing myself of this
opportunity
> > tomorrow , so that I may get all the little items finished, and prepped
for
> > paint.
> >
> > The engine is now in short block stage- rebored and cleaned out
thoroughly, it
> > is reassembled save for the head(I have to pick that up from the machine
shop-
> > saw it yesterday, looks great) and a few small details. New bearings,
valves,
> > guides, timing apparatus... Also the one piece rear seal is installed,
with
> > the scroll speedi-sleeved.
> >
> > Differential came back from professional reassembly, yesterday, as well.
Just
> > have to finish cleaning the driveshaft. Axles from flange out are
redone, and
> > on the shelf, complete with brakes, ready to go.
> >
> > Front suspension is partially disassembled- stripping upper and lower
control
> > arms for repaint. Spindles are together, including brakes, struts are
> > ready(NOS Spax, which came with the car)
> >
> > I took the tires from the rims yesterday, to strip and repaint them. I
have
> > decided to make them white, to reflect the 12/50 engine powering her. I
made
> > the discovery once they were off, that one rim was a 4 1/2 J, not a 3
1/2 D
> > that the others are. (I could fit the D's into the J between the lip on
either
> > side!) Luckily, I have 4 spare 3 1/2 D rims, so I just replaced that one
in
> > the set. If anyone needs one, let me know- might come to terms. I now
have 4
> > good ones, and two good spares. (I checked all my rims for true, and all
but
> > one was)
> >
> > The dash top, being summarily destroyed several months ago, after being
hit by
> > a wayward deodorant stick as the dash was sitting in my room, will
shortly be
> > recovered, and repadded. I think I can manage this well. Just have to
work out
> > some of the dynamics...But the material is a close match, and I got new
> > padding.
> >
> > Interior is ready to go in, just have to finish the back seat. I am
going to
> > be putting in a non-factory AM/FM/CD, and have to decide how the
speakers will
> > be hidden... This will be fun. Probably similar to what the car had when
I got
> > her, but I will try to be a better camouflage artist for them.
> >
> > I will be tearing down and inspecting the tranny very soon, and
finishing the
> > electrics when I put them into the car. The charging system will be
AC/Delco
> > alternator converted- using a base bracket of my own design, utilizing
the
> > original upper mount and belt. This way I can reconvert if necessary,
without
> > having to do much, other than wire mods.
> >
> > The body is almost ready for paint. I plan to have the last three items
welded
> > this week, by my welding buddy...In my shop- as they  are assembled and
on the
> > trolley in the shop here. Once he is done, I can do all the body
smoothing,
> > and prep, so it can go to the paint shop within the next two weeks, I
HOPE!!!