HS6 Carb Body Rebush; How?

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: HS6 Carb Body Rebush; How?
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 21:21:29 -0800 (PST)
I have cobbled together the bits and pieces that make up a 4a SU setup, (
late manifold, HS6s, linkages, bellcrank) and I'm at the point of needing
to rebush these HS6 carbs.

I've ordered a 'master rebuild kit' which includes stock diameter throttle
shafts and replacement bushings for the bodies.

I'm aware that Moss offers a reamer, but my understanding is that this
reams out the existing bushings to accomodate a larger diameter throttle
shaft.  The rebuild kit is supplied with stock bushings and throttle, so
I'm assuming this is done with some regularity.

I would like to poll the list for the experience anyone has in rebushing
their carbs.

I recall that just a week or so ago someone mentioned a vendor for a
reamer similar to the Moss product.

Is this the preferred method?  Using a reamer that has a pilot shaft which
uses the bushing on the opposite side of the body?

Is there such a reamer that retains the stock dimensions?

Can you do it with a drill press and a special size bit?

Your feedback appreciated as always, folks,

As an aside, the more I fiddle with SUs, the more impressed I am by them.
Did you ever rebuild an American 4 barrel carb?  Or take apart a Weber? Or
worst of all, almost ANY carb that came off a smog legal car from the late
70s through early 90s with a bijillion vacum lines?

More little washers, gaskets, o-rings, plungers, springs, needles,
adjustment screws, vacum hoses, check valves, etc., etc., than you can
shake a stick at.

And then you look at an SU.  There's like, THREE moving parts.

SUs almost seem too simple to work.  What a marvelous design.

-jeffrey