RE: HS6 Carb Body Rebush; How?

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: HS6 Carb Body Rebush; How?
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 11:49:06 -0700
jeffrey,
If the HS6 master kit is the same as the H6 "SU Master kit" and comes with the
teflon coated steel bushings instead of the brass bushings you can rebush your
carbs without the reamer. Some of the brass bushings that come in these kits
have to be reamed after installation. The difference on install is for the
brass bushings the carb body has some splines( these must be removed for the
steel bushing) in the hole to hold the bushing in place so when you drill out
the old bushing you use a drill 1/64 smaller than the bushing (use a drill stop
set to the correct depth). This leaves the factory splines in place and a small
amount of the old bushing must be pealed out of the carb body with a dental
pick or similar tool ( this method insures that you will not damage the carb
body). Then the new brass bushing is pressed in place but because the splines
distort the new brass bush slightly the will need the be reamed.
My drill press set up was similar to Randall but I didn't have a drill center
to work with. So I drilled a through the thickest part of my drill press table
to the same size the throttle shaft, I then used a old shaft in the chuck to
align the table and chuck with enough space for the carb body and the larger
drill bit. I then slide the shaft through the table and the both sides of the
carb body just below the bushing you are going to drill out, I held the shaft
in place with a small set of needle nose vice grips through the throat of the
carb. I then drilled the carb 1/64 smaller than the new bush as described
above, but as I had the steel bushings I then changed bits to the same size as
the bushing and carefully turned the drill chuck by hand to remove the splines
in the bottom from the hole. Installation was the same as Randall described
except I installed each bushing as I drilled them out so that my alignment for
the second bushing was off the one I had just installed on the other side.
One of my shafts needed to be run in the other was a perfect fit.
Once you figure out a good jig for doing the job it is fairly easy to do.

Doug Hamilton
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Fiat Cabriolet