Odometer roll back

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Odometer roll back
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 05:12:35 -0800 (PST)
Back in 1986,  after wrecking my first TR4 and then buying the hulk back from
the insurance company for spare parts for my newly purchased second TR4 . . .

I had fun taking parts off the car and dismantling them to figure them out.

When I got to the speedometer . . . it was long before I was trying to roll the
milage back.

No . .electric drills aren't going to do it.  BTDT.

Yes . .those tiny little springs which hold the ratchet arms in place can
disappear in the blink of an eye.  That'll keep the odometer from working.

I remeber I was able to lever the odometer wheels apart enough that I guess
their teeth wouldn't engage, and thus I was able to rotate the digits around,
one at a time until it was back to zero.

Being very proud of this accomplishement as any 16 year old would be . . . I
promptly put my new zero milage speedo / odo in my "new" TR-4.

What I didn't notice was that the 100's digit wheel was a little mis-aligned.
I guess the teeth or pawls didn't mesh up correctly.

I've still got the speedometer.
It shows 99.9 miles . . . as it tried to roll the 100's digit, it got stuck and
I think it has probably stipped out the little gears in it.

If my ignorant 16 year old self could come that close to sucessfully rolling
back an odometer . . . I imagine a dedicated and motivated person could get
really good at rolling them back sucessfully and quickly.

(as FT and Bud have both mentioned)

Cheers to all
Scott Tilton
20 degrees warmer this morning, but still frost on the windshield.