Cheap or stupid?

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cheap or stupid?
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 14:08:08 -0700
On the week end I found the dumbest thing I've ever seen done on any of
the cars I've previously restored. The DPO rebuilt the starter in my
1200 Cabriolet he used new brushes, new bushings, undercut the armature
properly, and WELDED NEW TEETH ONTO THE STARTER DRIVE( as a welder he
might have made a good bricklayer ). Yesterday I called a local starter
and alternator repair shop the starter drive was instock and cost $22.00
CAD, they also could get complete replacement starters. I suspect it
must have taken the DPO 3-4 hours to weld on new teeth, grind them sort
of to shape, and grind off the melted parts of the brass bushing,  why
not spend $22.00 instead! I think I better go through the brakes that he
rebuilt before I drive this car anywhere!!

Doug Hamilton
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Fiat 1200 Cabriolet