my TR8 seat heaters...

To: 1-Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: my TR8 seat heaters...
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 12:33:02 +0100
Subject: COLD!
> > Message text written by Scott Tilton
> > Yowza it was cold this morning! Made me wish for heated seats in
> > the TR6.  Wouldn't that be nifty!
> > Not just on the brutally cold mornings, but on the fall foliage
> > tours.  Wonder how much current they draw?
> > You suppose Dan Master's re-wiring plan includes that option?

Dave Massey then commented:
> Scott,
> Odd Hedberg, from Sweden, did this very thing to his TR8.  He got
> seat heaters from a Volvo (go figure) and wired them up to the rear
> window defroster circuit (which is not used in the drop top model).
> For a TR6 you will have to run new wiring to support the current and
> if you plan on using them for extended periods of time you may con-
> sider an alternator upgrade (although I doubt the stock alternator
> will have no trouble keeping up with them if the lights are not on).
>
> But what I'd really like are some seat coolers (for the summer).
> Dave

OK, I'll bite...

The seat heater kits were, just as Dave remembers, from a Swedish
car. An early seventies SAAB 99 actually. They are supposed to be
fitted into the seats between the cover and the cushion. And each
fed with a cable from an 8 ampere fuse. Part number was 207700006
- back in the seventies...

In the TR8 I used the rear window defroster circuit [since it was
all there - bar the switch and the window glass. Incl the relay...]
which I rerouted into the seating area. This is fed via a 15A Lucas
fuse [so I guess it'll blow the first time two people use the heaters
simultaneously for a periad of time - haven't happened yet] equalls
a standard 8 amp fuse. I wanted to start out on the conservative side
in design and testing...

It's a nice, and easy to do, amendment to a car that else has got
it all;  Brains, Muscle and Looks... ;-)
/Odd
--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary, TR8-rep.,